Belgorod - Kharkov battles (known as the Hadnitsa battles)

After the Izium battle the battalion's fame had spread like a wildfire. The men who returned from vacation were accepted exceptionally well in German commandant's headquarters, they often received double marching food and they did not have to stay in the line in marketender. People were amazed that the arrivers wanted to return to the front as soon as possible, wanted to return to their unit. Most Germans didn't have a clue that someone was having a battle of their own with German weapons…

Right after the Izium battles, groups of men started to return to the battalion from vacation. Some men had been sitting in the rear for a few days already and waited to return to the front but for some reason it didn't happen. Each man was necessary on the forefront those days but the men were still sitting in the rear. Why? This question remains unanswered even nowadays, several years after it all happened. The 3rd Company leader, Fritz von Böekmann, was taken to the rear service because his brother had been killed on the front. This was done so that the aristocratic pedigree would continue existing. Like many men remembered, he already had prosthesis instead of his hand during the training camp. He was a good leader. The new company leader was SS-Obersturmführer Leicht. In Debica he had at first been the leader of the battalion's intelligence command, later the deputy leader of the 4th Company. To rush ahead of things it can be said that he was the one who brought additional men to the Narva from Debica at the beginning of 1943.

On the night of August 8 Battalion Narva started moving again. The cars drove through the fruit and vegetable fields. A high could of dust accompanied the colon. German destruction aircrafts supported the battalion from the air. In the morning they stopped in one village where a short break was made for resting, the men got apples and plums from the gardens and soon Estonian singing was heard from here and there. After a while their journey continued and the unit was supported by a large number of tanks, which were meant for reorganizing. The lunch was given right in the middle of the steppe and then they continued to move again. They drove the whole day and night. The next morning they stopped in a thick oak forest, holes were dug for the machines and the men went to sleep.

In the morning on August 3, 1943, around 5 o'clock, a strong preparation fire began north of Belgorod, in the area of Tomorovka and Stepnoje: the Red Army was preparing for a big attack. After the firing from the air and land had stopped, the tanks and infantry began their attack. On August 5 Belgorod was taken over and on August 7 Bogodukhov. The Voronezh front and Steppe Front participated in the Red Army's great offensive, south of Kharkov they were supported by the Eastern Front. The Voronezh front had about 1,000 armored units, the Steppe Front had 1,380. 18 tank divisions and 72 infantry divisions participated in the Belgorod-Kharkov battles on the three fronts of the Red Army. When the battles reached near Kharkov in a crescent, the Steppe Front was secured with artillery units and tanks. The relation of the heavy weapons thus changed to 6,5:1 in favor of the Red Army. Before the big battles began, the frequency of fires on the Voronezh front was 230 heavy weapons fire units and 70 tanks on one kilometer.

Which German armed forces were in the same area? There was the 4th Panzer Army and the Operative Group Kempf, which was reorganized into the 8th Panzer Army during the battles. The 4th Panzer Army battled against the Voronezh front units, the Operative Group Kempf battled against the Steppe Front. The relation of powers in the infantry's area was 5:1 in favor of the Red Army. The German side didn't have any reserves and they couldn't bring additions from anywhere. The Red Army's Eastern and Southern Front units attacked in the Donbass area and after conquering Belgorod and Bogoduhhov they headed towards Kharkov. The Voronezh front moved west of Kharkov, the Steppe Front units in east, the Eastern Front units were active in southeast and south. The Red Army's aim was to pass Kharkov from west and south and close the town into a pocket.

The 5th guard tank army Commander, General Rotmistrov, decided to invade the German positions in two groups: the first one consisted of the 18th and 29th tank units' corps, the second the 5th guard mechanized corps. The Red Army leaders knew that the enemy's tank units were not enough to hold the front in this area. They decided to invade the German positions with fast tank unit attacks and then the infantry would have continued the breakthrough. After Belgorod was taken over, the German units' headquarters sent the tank divisions Das Reich, Totenkopf and Wiking, which had protected Donbass in Izium-Barvenkovo area, to the Kharkov area. The divisions took their positions against the Voronezh front units, the motorized regiment Deutschland from the Das Reich was sent to support the 8th Panzer Army. The leader of the Russian Steppe Front, General Konev, demanded on August 9 decisive actions from the 5th guard army. They had to reach the Ljubotin district and cut through the highways and railway heading from Kharkov to the West.

On August 9 and 10 the Red Army's 5th guard tank army tried to invade the German units' positions but failed. The tank units were once again gathered to form a huge attack unit in order to invade Polevoje, Olshana and Peresetshnaja district, but failed again. The army broke its teeth but failed to break through. These attacks, in addition to conquering Belgorod, were expensive for General Rotmistrov: during one week the Red Army's 5th guard tank army lost 383 tanks and a self-propelled gun.

By August 11 the German SS Panzer Divisions, which were brought from Donbass, took their positions: Das Reich and Totenkopf were in the Aleksandranovka – Starõi Mertsk area. The Soviet Steppe Front units tried to surround Kharkov from north. The town had been ruled by several different owners and towards the end of the winter, Paul Hausser and Sepp Dietrich's tank corps retook it again. After this Kharkov once again became the center of the battles. The Division Wiking rushed days and nights without stopping towards the Klenevoje-Krõssino-Hadnitsa-Olshana area (not to confuse with Olshana, which later is mentioned in the descriptions of the Cherkassy pocket), which was northwest of Kharkov, to replace the Division Das Reich. The task seemed to be easy: to take the positions about two hundred meters height in the chain of hills, which was situated north of Krõssino. This task was made difficult because the enemy tried to take the same positions. Thus it was a race against time and the time was ticking fast. The tanks were moving on maximum speed, since the tank commanders had an order to break through right from north and not to let anything stop them. The smell of exhaust fumes and burnt oil was in the air. The path of SS-Sturmbannführer Hans Köller's tanks on the fields and highways was marked by clouds of smoke and dust. The August sun was shining high in the sky. Sweat was dripping from the faces of tankers, which were black of dirt, and their uniforms were stained with oil. The air above the ground was oppressively hot. The tank armor was burning hot.

The Division Wiking tanks reached the chain of hills, which stretched from Sinkovski to Krõssino. They arrived there first and let the headquarters know of their location. They immediately made preparations for defence on this land, which enabled to disguise well. The mechanized regiment Deutschland took over the positions in Kazatsh and Lopan area under the 8th Panzer Army. An interesting document has been preserved from this time – a journal of one Narva battalion solider. A journal, which includes some schemes of the unit's positions, was handed to the Narva 3rd Company's gas truck driver Arnold Lehter by one of his wounded brother-in-arms on the battlefield. Lehter kept the journal until 1980s and then took it to his friend Alex Kerk in the USA. Thanks to Kerk, the journal was returned to its homeland through several authorities at first as a copy to help to remind the battle days. The journal was written by a 4th Company soldier, probably from the grenade throwers group. In the following chapter he will be called the "author of the journal".

One page from this journal: "There will be no long sleeping – the soup is already being distributed, men are trying to wash in some sort of puddle but they are dirtier later than they were before. The large groups of the enemy's planes that were flying over did not see the battalion, which was hiding in the forest, there are no German planes to be seen at this moment.

August 10 at 4 a.m. the battalion began to drive to Kharkov. Thanks to relatively good roads, they drove fast. One enemy's air attack took place on the road. The battalion's anti-tank cannons (flaks) began shooting and the enemy was forced to go higher. Some missiles explode quite near, but we don't suffer any loss.
8 a.m. we drove through one suburb of Kharkov, Merefa, and the town was being evacuated. An hour later the town was bombed, many houses were on fire. The civilians are trying to leave the town with their belongings.

August 11 we stopped in a village quite near to the front line.

The roads have become quite muddy because of the rain at night and we could see one 'Tiger' struggling in the mud before it was able to get out. The enemy's ammunition trucks must have been hit a few kilometers away because the smoke coming from there overshadows the sun. The villagers are gone – some have dug holes in the ground and hide there, some have left to the steppe. An air attack began around 11 o'clock – the German destroyers dashed high to attack the 'ratas' (Russian aircrafts' nickname) and shot several of these down. The enemy's long-distance shooting battery began to fire and missiles were flying over the village with a whining noise.

The men were waiting to get to the front because this kind of waiting was nerve-jangling. August 12 we took the positions, dug, trucks brought ammunition and we got a warm meal."

By the way, the Battalion Narva, which rested after the Izium battles and was reorganized, arrived to Olshana district with the main forces of the Division Wiking. The reorganizing of the Narva board and junior leaders took place there. The battalion leader was SS-Hauptsturmführer Grafhorst, the 1st Company leader SS-Obersturmführer Schmidt, the 2nd Company leader Eberhard Heder, the 3rd Company leader SS-Obersturmführer Leicht, the 4th Company leader SS-Hauptsturmführer Karl Silberleitner. In the meantime, a lot of men had returned to the battalion from their vacations, in addition the wounded men had recovered and came back.

The Battalion Narva moved to Olshana district through Borki-Merefa and took its positions in Klenovoje-Krõssino area. In front of the chain of hills where the intelligence units of the Division Wiking had took its positions the previous day, was the Klenovoje village on a hillside. Despite the fact that the Russians failed to get to the hill first, they had managed to secure their positions in this village and were hoping to begin the attack there. SS-Brigadeführer Gille decided to clear the village of the Russians and gave two attack orders by the morning of August 13. The 1st tank battalion was supposed to attack the village and the Battalion Narva 2nd Company, led by SS-Obersturmführer Eberhard Heder, and the regiment Germania 3rd battalion, led by Hans Juchem, were sent to support it. The advance guard was made up of a tank group, which was led by the famous SS poet and writer, SS-Untersturmführer Kurt Eggers. They planned to take the village with a surprise attack. This was difficult since they had to cross an empty field, which was clearly seen to the enemy. The Red Army's commander-in-chief, Marschall Georgi Zhukov, gave an order to begin the attack on August 12 south of Bogoduhhov with the aim to conquer the town of Valk and reach Novaja Vodolaga. The exhausted Red Army's 5th guard tank army was given to the Steppe Front unit and received additional new tanks.

August 13 tank unit leader SS-Untersturmführer Kurt Eggers (on the photo) received an order to attack. The weather was nice and the tanks were driving with open doors. Suddenly they heard cannon shots nearby. The Russians had managed to situate seven anti-tank cannons on fire positions and were firing the 2nd Company's colon. Kurt Eggers was looking out of his tank tower to check the surroundings and his tank was hit. The missile went through the armor and cut the officer into two. The legs, which were cut off, fell into the tank. The cannon gunner and loader were completely red with blood but fortunately survived. The explosion threw Kurt Eggers' upper body eight meters away and it was twitching. The gunner ran to his leader, Eggers was in coma. The lower body was so torn into pieces that it was impossible to make a compression bandage to stop the bleeding. Then the loader went to help the gunner, they placed the ragged and unconscious body of the group commander on the armor behind the tank tower.

At the same time new explosions were heard and the next tank was hit. Three out of Eggers' five tank units still begin a counterattack against the enemy. Quite soon the enemy's anti-tank cannons on the edge of the forest were destroyed and only dark smoke raised from their location. The men had taken vengeance for their comrade, whose life ended after two hours of being unconscious. In addition to SS-Untersturmführer Kurt Eggers, another Division Wiking outstanding junior officer was hit. After the second unsuccessful attack to Klevoje village, the regiment Germania 2nd Battalion leader, SS-Hauptsturmführer Hans Juchem (on the photo), was killed. Juchem had participated in more than fifty close combats during his military career and had never been wounded. A few survivors managed to retreat when the darkness arrived. The leader of the Battalion Narva 2nd Company, SS-Obersturmführer Eberhard Heder, who had been through hell and led his unit stubbornly and bravely, took over leading the surviving Germans. Heder remembers: "In my mind it would have been possible only if the attack spirits of the Germania fighting group would have had a crushing effect on the enemy. This did not show, however, so I delayed with the order to attack.
Finally I received a strict, even angry, command from the regiment to begin attack, since the Germania group had already invaded Klenovoje.

As it turned out later, only a few tanks had reached the edge of the village. The already weakened staff of the Germania 2nd Battalion didn't manage to move forward under the enemy's strong fire and lied on the ground. They lost their battalion leader in this battle.

I wasn't convinced in the success of this move – but this is a necessary presumption in this type of situations. But I still had to give an order to start the attack. The unit of Hando Ruus, which was attacking from the left, had reached quite close to the first houses. I reached him with short jumps and gave an order to his unit to attack the village with a run after the artillery and grenade throwers firing. I was a bit injured in my leg.

But the attack didn't happen, instead I received an order with a radiogram from the regiment to retreat. The retreat happened advisedly and without rushing.

To my surprise our losses were rather small, which can only be explained with good training and the soldiers' reasonable behavior in battles."

The 3rd Company heavy machine gunner, Heino Ridbeck, remembers: "It was on August 12 when the 2nd Company began to attack the village on the hillside over the empty field. We were on the right side defence and were ordered to stop the attackers if necessary. We observed the battle 600 to 700 meters away. They didn't manage to conquer the village, the enemy's heavy weapons fire wall was too strong."

Out of the 2,000 men in the regiment Germania who all tried to conquer Klenovje, only about a hundred men were battle-ready afterwards. They received an order to retreat to the Upland 209 and take defence positions. They had to cover the almost three-kilometer front area, which means that for every thirty meters there was one man. August 14, 1943 both sides were digging holes and took care of their wounded ones. Regiment Germania took its positions on Upland 209 and the Battalion Narva was on Upland 202 – the survivors settled their messy positions and had decided to take vengeance for their fallen comrades in the lethal battle of Klenovoje village.

August 15 the Russians dared to attack after preparations had been made. They slowly came out of the shadow of the village to conquer the upland. At one o'clock the three-colored rockets rose from the forefront – the enemy was attacking! Fierce machine guns fire began. The Germans and Estonians allowed them to approach. Once the first attackers were only some ten meters away, they began to fire. The attackers were a few thousand men, they had become much more courageous after the German failed attack under Kursk. But they were not only faced with the exhausted and ragged infantry soldiers from previous battles. Behind them, in the shadow of the upland's peak, the 1st Battalion tanks were waiting and their teams had restored strength after the failing of Klenovoje attack. Mechanics and gunmen had been working hard on the forefront for 24 hours to eliminate the damages and the tanks and weapons were ready for battle again. The unit had lost only about a half a dozen tanks and restored its initial attack force after repair works. The two anti-aircraft cannons of the Battalion Narva were also working hard shooting constantly the targets on land. Soon the firing of the anti-aircraft cannons stopped because one of them was broken. Men took the cannon sights and locks off and retreated. Later SS-Obersturmführer Fiskar went to get the cannons with intelligence tanks and managed to get them!

SS-Obersturmführer Fiskar was a daredevil, calm, decisive and evaluated the situations coldly and quickly. He was very popular among the Battalion Narva men. "Fellows, we'll hang in there!" It was his encouraging call and it mostly was followed by a friendly spank on the shoulder. The tanks rose higher on the hillside according to the order, suddenly appeared on the upland's peak and speeded from Upland 209 down towards the surprised Red Army's infantry. The tanks' machine guns began to fire. The enemy was mowed down while running, some escaped and some crushed under the treads. Hundreds of dead and wounded men were lying on the hillside in front of the Germania and Narva units. It was a total bloodshed, the men took vengeance on behalf of their fallen comrades.

Heino Ridbeck continues: "Everything seemed threateningly quiet and peaceful in the battalion's area. But after a while the enemy's heavy weapons began to fire, which seemed to be groping and searching, it didn't hit anything besides crop shocks, which made spooky shadows in the dark as they were burning. Loud battle noises were heard from the left during the afternoon – Regiment Germania and battalion Narva's 2nd Company were desperately doing their best. It seemed that the enemy's armored units had broken through the front on the right wing and some parts of the 1st and 2nd companies were sent to side defence to prevent the battalion from being surrounded.
9 p.m. the boys came back from both companies, at the same time the order to retreat came. They drove west through the village, which was burning and under constant heavy weapons fire. Crazed animals were running and roaring in between the houses. The soldiers' cemetery with cleaned graves was in the village. The men were staring at the cemetery and realized that in a few hours the enemy will destroy all of it."

When Battalion Narva leader Grafhorst, who normally didn't go out of his headquarters, one day decided to go to the forefront, he was immediately killed either by the enemy's bullet or by a missile splinter before he had even reached the front. West of Germania, on Upland 202, the Battalion Narva 2nd Company had to deal with the Soviet infantry's attack. SS-Obersturmführer Eberhard Heder (on the photo) had only half a hundred Estonians under him, the rest had either been killed or wounded. Since the Battalion Narva front had become sparse because of the fierce battles under Hadnitsa, single Russian attack groups broke through it in some places. SS-Obersturmführer Ralf Fiskar eliminated them successfully. He once did it with a four-piped anti-aircraft cannon (flak), another time with a 50-millimeter anti-tank cannon. He mostly used the 4th Company's car for transportation and Sulev Liht was his driver. If the situation became critical in some place, he immediately drove there with the cannon. The cannon was quickly prepared for battle, some ten shots were made and then they drove back quickly because soon the enemy would start shooting this position. Nobody could count how many Russians got killed in these dash attacks. But the breakthroughs were eliminated.

During the elimination of yet another breakthrough, Ralf Fiskar was lethally injured and died a few days later in a field hospital. In the darkness of the night the Red Army infantry battalion began to attack. The men who came near the Gulf of Finland were well secured and full of decisiveness to resist the attack. The attacking enemy was mowed down time after time. Their machine guns' irons were smoking. But the Red Army's human resource was limitless and those units, which were bleeding to death, were replaced with new hordes of men. This type of attacks were endless. New attackers came to take the place of every single dead body and the new men were climbing up the Upland 202. They were screaming "hurray!". The Estonians in Battalion Narva greeted them with hellish fire. They knew that this group will eventually roll over them but they gave all they had. Their commander demanded through the radio: "Tanks! Send tanks!"

The situation was made even more difficult because the tanks, which were having rough battles to keep the positions of Germania on the Upland 209, could not be sent there, thus the whole front line was on the shoulders of the Estonians. "Wait for the night to come," the division's headquarters told them. Finally the darkness ended this dreadfully long summer day. The Battalion Narva managed to beat back the attacks, but was also forced to retreat to the upland's peak. New rows of Russians appeared and screamed while attacking. The situation was more complex because of the darkness. Suddenly Eberhard Heder heard the sound of a motor. It was 11 p.m. already. Finally two tank companies arrived to help. They appeared on Upland 204, rushed along the hillside to face the enemy and turned the attack into a bloody chaos. The front line was cleared from the enemies! In the daylight the Estonians saw a sea of dead bodies and a number of weapons in front of their positions, which the fallen enemies had left behind. The hordes of Russians had to go through a bloody loss. A break in the battle enabled both sides to rest for a while.

In the morning of August 16 the enemy began an extremely strong heavy weapons preparation fire. There were no single explosions heard anymore, a steady thunder was all around. It seemed like everything was boiling. The destructive fire lasted for two hours, then it became calmer and it seemed like no one could have been alive on the front. But when the tank attack began, violet rockets rose from every company, which showed that they were still alive. 27 tanks began to attack and the infantry followed them. Immediately the Germania and Narva cannons began to fire, which along with the grenade throwers made the Russian infantry's attack very difficult. For a moment the German side stopped the fire of the heavy weapons. Their forefront observer had been hit and the connection with the rear was broken. But it was restored after a while.

In the meantime the enemy's infantry had reached behind the 1st Company men but had to face the anti-tank cannons. Haring shot the enemy with exploding missiles from "Kõu" by straight aiming. A lot of infantry soldiers were left lying in front of the cannons and never rose again, the others kept on moving onwards like in a dream. Some forefront men turned their machine guns' pipes aside and behind them and kept killing the enemies. Both machine guns protecting the anti-tank cannon did the same. The firing was constant but the enemy didn't stop. Some came "Za rodinu" and died "Za Stalina", the others on the contrary, came "Za Stalina" and died "Za rodinu". Machine gunners Kask and Moiser were killed behind their weapons in a heroic close combat. Haring hid behind his cannon's shield and continued the battle with his last fellows. Junior Officers Järv and Karu came to help from the 1st Company with a few brother-in-arms and the men were able to eliminate the break in with a fierce counterattack.

The tanks moved forward, broke through the companies' positions but were then face to face with six German "Tigers". After a short but fierce exchange of fire, nine enemy's armored machines were destroyed. The others turned aside and were unreachable to German tanks. But then they reached the aiming field of Battalion Narva. It seemed that the enemy intended to surround the battalion from right and left. The attack was crushed in the 1st Company's area by the "Tigers" and Battalion Narva's anti-tank cannons. At the same time the Russian tanks and infantry attacked the 3rd Company's area where besides the infantry they had to face the light anti-tank cannons unit from Battalion Narva and some German attack cannons. Cold-blooded men allowed the tanks to get quite close and then opened the fire. Four tanks immediately became the victims of the Estonian boys. One German attack cannon was soon hit and therefore forced to leave the battlefield, the other one managed to crush two enemy's tanks. The other Russian armored machines retreated quickly towards their lines.

The enemy's infantry, after receiving addition, invaded the 1st Company's lines again. Soon the attack was stopped, but one enemy's heavy machine gun "Maxim" managed to secure a position in former Estonian shooting nest and held the highway under fire. Junior Officer Holland's heavy grenade throwers unit began to eliminate it. The distance was quickly determined and with three shots the enemy's machine gun and its team were destroyed. Hans Holland's (on the photo) grenade throwers were highly valued by the company's men, although each company had its own grenade throwers squad with two grenade throwers. Along with the infantry cannon their actions were extremely important.

The night arrived and the soldier always waits for relief to his rough battle day from the night. The Soviet artillery, which had several days to bring more cannons to the front area, began to attack the positions with bomb hail. The ground was literally turned upside down. The landscape looked like the battlefield from the First World War with its broken trees and yawning missile craters. The Estonians, Germans and Dutch suffered great losses in this constant missile rain. After the destructive fire the Russian guard tank army began to attack to reach the railway and cut it off. The enemy managed to take over some German positions and reached the Upland 209, which was still protected by the remains of the Germania regiment. But the Russians didn't stop there, when the night arrived the next 120 tanks came to attack. The Upland 209 was handed over. But Hans Köller's tanks immediately began a counterattack to which the Russians were not able to stand against. In the night of August 18 the Divison Wiking held the main positions again.

SS-Brigadeführer Gille gathered all Division Wiking tanks to counterattacks. He insisted to have the backup of the Army Corps. The headquarters send one "Tiger" tanks division to help. Out of the one hundred Russian tanks, which began the attack in the morning, the ruins of eighty-four tanks were already lying around by afternoon, which filled the evening darkness with its flames. The battles lasted the whole night, at times became less frequent so that they could start all over again. The rattle of the machine guns was mixed with long shouts of the anti-aircraft cannons, grenade throwers and the barks of infantry cannons. The night was white of rockets. And then they came again. The whole field was full of "lice towers" (the sharp-pointed hat of the Russian army), garrison caps, the green faded tarpaulin hats, and some flat helmets. And they kept on coming. They were shot from all weapons. Their lines became more sparse with every single step. And a few steps away from Estonian shooting nests the bunch collapsed. Then chaos followed.

Later when the prisoners were being interrogated the whole truth of this daredevil attack became clear: the Red Army got its courage from the bottle, besides if the attack would have been successful, the men were promised a few awards and additional vacation. Some even had a half empty bottle in their pockets, some had it in their hands! So this was what the lethal "liberators army" was like. The same night the 2nd Company's area was attacked by one Russian women's battalion. They attacked while singing "Katjusha". Towards the morning the pitiful crying and begging of the women was heard in front of Estonian positions. The following night was completely dark. Not even the sparkle of the rockets lighted the sky that night. Only the cries for help of the Russians disturbed the silence. But the weapons were silent. Eight "Tiger" tanks had come to support the battalion, tanks were led by Hans Köller. At 2 o'clock the regiment Germania and battalion Narva were replaced by the pioneer battalions of the Wiking. Battalion Narva had shrunk: 1st Company had 47 men, 2nd Company 35 men, 3rd Company 21 men and 4th Company 54 men.

The Red Army's units had gathered to Sennoje, Bogoduhhov, Krõssino and Hrushtshovaja-Nikitovka and were waiting for the order to attack. But the opposite happened. German units, having received two SS tank divisions, the Das Reich and Totenkopf, to support, began to attack Bogoduhhov themselves. The main action was between the tank units. The Gavrish state farm was taken over and the battles in this area lasted until August 17. They failed to conquer Bogoduhhov, suffered great losses in weapons and human resources and the German units began to defend instead. The Red Army conquered Starõi Metshik by the evening of August 17. August 19 SS-Untersturmführer Hando Ruus received the 1st class Iron Cross as the second Estonian for his personal bravery in Hadnitsa battles. This was a huge acknowledgement for the whole battalion.

SS-Brigadeführer Herbert-Otto Gille said: "The Soviet human masses and American technology make up a strong fist. The Russians battle bravely." These were praising words for the enemy, although it was a bigger praise for us. The commander-in-chief day command announced that in the area of the Wiking 84 tanks were crushed. Most of them were destroyed thanks to the anti-tank cannons of the Narva battalion. The enemy's intentions had been ruined, Battalion Narva nor Regiment Germania had retreated, undying battle spirit didn't let Marschall Zhukov's army through.

Works Cited

  • The first part of Battalion Narva history book Minu au on truudus. Tartu: Greif, 1995
  • The second part of Battalion Narva history book Minu au on truudus. Tartu: Greif, 1999
  • Mabire, J. SS Tankidiviis Wiking. Tallinn: Publishing House Olion, 1996