Nobody's Born as a Soldier

Nor was Harald Nugiseks. He became a soldier due to circumstances that had and were happening around him. And it would have been unreasonable if he would have chosen another path for himself. On June 22 Germany began a war against the Soviet Union, which could have began in the opposite way a few weeks later. The world's two giant systems wanted to defeat each other with strength and wit. The Soviet Union had shown cruelty and mercilessness in the past, which would have made a blind man see. But it did not make everyone seers.

Although the farmers were not touched much during the deportation of 1941, the military car came to Vanaõue farm too. Fortunately Harald's father – whom the soldiers were looking for – had gone to Rae mill with his horse. When he was coming back home, he saw soldiers marching in his garden and went to the woods. He remained there. Now that the enemy had declared mobilization, the red system wanted to make Harald and his brother soldiers, sending them around July 5 or 6, when the war had already reached Estonia, the mobilization invite with bicycle messenger. The brothers could not afford to think long – they quickly went to the woods!

Then came the last drop to the cup of sorrow. The Latvian destruction battalion reached Järva County – it was one of the cruelest units, which in cooperation with the Pleer death train and the Red Army started to search through the villages to find deserters. There were many of them. The people who were given new lands worked as the snitchers of the destruction battalion. A new horror was added to what had happened on June 14. It was merciless violence and terror that a young man now saw and heard. Most of the farms that surrounded Vanaõue were destroyed (in total there were 33 farms). Vanaõue's buildings were also in fire, all that was left of a successful farm were ruins. There were no place for humans, furniture nor tools. Even the bridge to the paddock had been burned. The smoke and flames that reached high were like a wake up call for the son. Harald's uncle, who had been wearing fire brigade's uniform hat, was killed with his son by bayonet stabs. Their bodies were thrown into Kolu river and remained there until the German troops arrived and their relatives pulled them out of the water.

Harald's father August had been in the War of Independence with Järva's defence battalion and participated in a campaign that went until Pihkva. Harald did not doubt anymore about where he belonged. Already in August he joined the German regular forces near Rae mill on the border of Pärnu and Harju County and in Captain Artur Asu's battalion participated in liberating Tallinn on August 28. Afterwards he served in the Estonian Self-Defence for some time.