A Professor from Berlin

What happened to this trained, strong man from the front, who had gone through hundreds of difficulties, on his way home, was one of those things that would make one protest. At first Nugiseks went to his home farm Vanaõue in Järva County. He saw his father, mother, sister, felt the warmness of home, tasted homemade bread. What else could a man from the front want who needed to rest from the big war?

The illness started from a simple flu, which brought along a number of severe consequences. At first typhus, then pneumonia and finally inflammation of the middle ear. A young and strong organism began to fight against the illness, but this time the enemy seemed to be stronger than on the bridgehead. He had to go to a hospital in Türi. The fever was between 35 and 41 degrees Celsius during the day, his body weight dropped to 49 kilos. He was unconscious for eight days. The doctors gave up hope. They didn't believe that an organism, even a strong one, could fight with such a load of diseases.

Harald Nugiseks received the 2nd class Iron Cross on February 27 for his bravery, on March 7 he received the 1st class Iron Cross. And when Nugiseks was lying unconscious in a hospital bed, he was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on April 9 for the battle under Siiverts-Vaasa-Vepsküla. He was the second Estonian and the first soldier to receive it.

And then the Lord's mills grinded independently. Through some channels a message was received in Berlin that a man who just received the state's highest award for military bravery, was dying in a military hospital in Türi, Estonia. The German state, let's be honest, looked after its soldiers. One day an unexpected visitor from Berlin came to Türi hospital. It was a medical professor who had been brought here by plane. Nugiseks doesn't know his name to this day. Professor prescribed some medicines. These gave the young and strong organism strength and the healing began. At first he recovered in Türi hospital.